Spinach and Feta Filo Pie
1 x pack Green Isle Frozen Spinach 450g, defrosted
1 tablespoon of oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 red pepper, diced
2 eggs, beaten
Zest of a lemon
200g Feta cheese, crumbled
Salt and Pepper
1 x pack of filo pastry (7 sheets/240g)
100g butter, melted (or 100ml oil)
23cm springform tin
- Preheat the oven to 180⁰C /gas 4.
- Put the defrosted spinach into a sieve and press out as much liquid as possible.
- In a medium pan, heat the oil and add the onion. Fry gently for 2 minutes, add the red pepper and cook another 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, add the spinach, lemon zest, beaten eggs, salt and pepper and mix well. Gently fold in the crumbled feta.
- Unfold the filo pastry and lift one sheet onto your worktop (cover the rest of the filo pastry with a damp cloth while you work).
- Brush with melted butter, lay another sheet on top and brush that with butter. Lay a third sheet across the first two, brush with butter and top with further sheet.
- Brush this fourth sheet with butter and carefully lift and drop the whole pastry cross into the springform tin allowing the pastry to come up and drape over the sides.
- Spread the filing into the tin and bring the overlapping pastry sides up over the edge of the mixture, scrunching it as you do. Butter the remaining pastry sheets, scrunch them up and use to cover the centre of the pie.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden and crisp. Allow cool for 10 minutes and serve cut in wedges with a mixed salad.
Share on social
Share on social