Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
Nothing says comfort like some Cauliflower Mac & Cheese, an easy rich and creamy midweek dish that leaves plates empty. Our recipe serves four but this dish is perfect for for batch-cooking by doubling up and freezing if you wish. Our Cauliflower is a source of Vitamin C and is high in protein which makes it perfect for growing families.
15 grams unsalted butter
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
450 grams Green Isle frozen cauliflower
450 grams penne or macaroni pasta
600 ml milk
1 teaspoon English mustard
100 g mixed cheese , such as Cheddar, Parmesan,
A few sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves removed
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / 180 C fan.
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions then drain and set aside.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan and add the onion. Cook over a low heat for 5 – 10 minutes until soft and translucent but not coloured.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to the boil and add the cauliflower. Cook for 5 minutes then drain and set aside.
- Once the onion is soft, add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Add 250 grams of the cauliflower to the pan and stir then add the milk and the mustard.
- Blitz everything together with a hand blender until smooth then add most of your cheese – reserve a bit for sprinkling on top later – and stir everything together to make a smooth sauce.
- Add the pasta and remaining cauliflower and stir to combine then place into an ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and the thyme leaves and cook in the oven for about 10 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
Share on social
Share on social