Vegetarian kedgeree with Cauliflower Rice
2 x bag Green Isle Cauliflower Rice
1 tbsp oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp ginger paste (or minced fresh ginger)
4 cloves garlic, minced
225 g (~ 8 oz) smoked extra firm tofu, cut into chunks
2 tsp mild curry powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 vegetable stock cube, crumbled
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp water
Few sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 lemon (juice only)
- Boil the rice in plenty of water until it’s just tender, stirring every few minutes. When it’s cooked, drain any excess water, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, boil the eggs in their shells for around 10-11 minutes. Drain away the boiling water, and rinse the eggs a few times in cold water. Set aside until they’re cool enough to touch.
- While the rice and eggs are cooking, heat a dash of oil in a large frying pan, and add the sliced onion, ginger, garlic and smoked tofu. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes or so, until the onion is soft. Add the curry powder, smoked paprika, crumbled stock cube (or just salt, if you don’t have stock cubes), and plenty of black pepper. Cook for a minute or two longer.
- When the rice is cooked, add it to the pan with the tofu, along with a good knob of butter and a splash of water. Mix well, and allow to cook over a gentle heat until the butter has melted and coated the rice nicely.
- Peel the eggs, rinse off any fragments of shell, then slice them, and add to the pan. Also add some fresh chopped parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice. Gently mix everything together, and serve immediately with mango chutney.
Share on social
Share on social