Mixed berry cupcakes
250 grams Green Isle Mixed Berries
125g butter, at room temperature
140g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
300 g self-raising flour
125ml fresh orange juice
For the icing:
250 g unsalted butter – soft at room temperature
250 g icing sugar
200 g white chocolate
A little milk – to get the buttercream to the right consistency, this may not be needed
Edible flowers, to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line twelve 80ml capacity muffin pans with large paper cases.
- Use an electric beater to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until pale and creamy.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition until well combined.
- Fold in the flour and orange juice until just combined.
- Spoon half the mixture evenly among the paper cases and top with half the combined berries.
- Divide the remaining mixture among the cases and top with the remaining berries.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cakes spring back when lightly tapped. Set aside in the pan to cool slightly before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the icing: Break the white chocolate (200g) and melt it over a bain marie (in a bowl over a pan of simmering water).
- Once the chocolate has melted, remove the bowl from the pan and leave the chocolate to cool. Beat the butter (250g) on a low speed until soft and then add the icing sugar (250g), 1 tbsp at a time and beat until fully combined.
- Once the white chocolate has cooled to room temperature pour it into the butter and sugar mixture and beat on a low speed until fully combined. You should find that the buttercream has a soft, spreadable consistency, if not add a little milk a tsp at a time until it is soft.
- Your buttercream is now ready to use.
Share on social
Share on social