Shepherdless Pie with Garden Peas and Sweet Potato and Cauliflower Mash
Looking for tasty family recipes that help you incorporate more veggies, well look no further: our sweet potato and cauliflower mash topped Shepherdless Pie is an absolute crowd pleaser. Made with our Garden Peas for extra natural sweetness and nutrients.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, grated
300 grams mushrooms, finely diced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon plain flour
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (or vegan alternative e.g. mix a tsp of ketchup with white wine vinegar, half a tsp of soy sauce and a dash of your favourite hot sauce)
250 ml vegetable stock
300 ml passata
1 x 400 gram tin beluga lentils, drained
150 Green Isle Garden Peas
1 head cauliflower, core removed & broken into pieces
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped into 1″ pieces
Knob of butter or unsweetened non-dairy milk
Salt and pepper
- Steam cauliflower and sweet potato in about 1-2 inches of water until soft.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and when hot, add the onion and a pinch of salt. Cook over a low heat for 10 – 15 minutes until completely soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute then turn the heat up and add the mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are browned, which will take about 10 minutes then stir through the dried thyme, rosemary, flour and Worcestershire sauce. Cook for 3 minutes then stir through the vegetable stock and passata and bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for 30 – 45 minutes until slightly reduced and thickened.
- Add the lentils and frozen peas and cook for 3 minutes then taste and season with salt and pepper before transferring the mixture to a 20 cm round ovenproof dish.
- Once the sweet potato and cauliflower are soft, mash with a knob of butter and salt and pepper. Then spoon the mash on top of the mushroom and lentil mixture.
- At this point you can cool and refrigerate until needed if not cooking straight away. Otherwise, preheat the oven to 180 C and cook the shepherdless pie for 30 minutes until piping hot throughout, golden and bubbling.
- Serve immediately with a green salad on the side.
Share on social
Share on social