Mexican Style Chicken and Sweetcorn Soup
4 chicken breasts
2 litres best quality chicken stock
1 large potato, peeled and roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
700 grams Green Isle frozen sweetcorn
For the pepper and coriander salsa:
1 green pepper, finely chopped
1 green chilli finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely grated
A small handful of coriander, finely chopped
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
A good handful of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
Tortilla chips, to serve
Avocado slices, to serve
- Place the chicken breasts and chicken stock in a large saucepan. Place over a high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10-12 minutes or until the chicken is cooked all the way through. Skim away any scum that may form on the surface.
- Remove the chicken from the stock and let it cool slightly before shredding into pieces.
- Keep the chicken stock at a steady simmer and add in the potato, garlic and onion and continue to simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potato is cooked through. Add half of the sweetcorn and cook for a further 4 minutes then, using a hand blender, blitz the soup until smooth. Place back on to the heat and add the remaining sweetcorn and cook for a further 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir through the shredded chicken, cooking until the chicken is heated through.
- For the green pepper salsa, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and set aside until needed.
- To assemble, pour the soup into deep bowls and top with red onion, coriander, tortilla chips and avocado slices. Dot the green pepper salsa over the top and dig in!
Share on social
Share on social